Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Update to Bible Cover and a pair of UFOs

After looking at the ribbon trim I ordered, I decided it was too wide and the black background was not right.  So for the back of the cover I turned under the edges and appliqued it.  I will probably add a line or two of red embroidery to match the inside edge of the border and to cover the threads sticking out at the corners.  Not sure yet on the rest of the cover but I'm thinking that applique will work on the front also.
However, in looking for some thread I found 2 UFOs that were almost finished.  

Talk about perfect timing!
All I needed to do was finish the outlines on both and the hat on the top witch!

Now all I need is 2 simple frames, I think a Dollar Tree visit is in order for tomorrow.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Sunday Bible Journaling ~ Stormclouds

A simple drawing of stormclouds, wind and rain to illustrate the highlighted verse.

The drawing is outlined with fine point ball pen in black.  It was colored with prismacolor pencils and I layered progressively darker shades of blue to create the shadows.  I usually rub the colored area with a tissue wrapped around my finger to blend everything.

Later I added to the outlines with a silver metallic pen.  

The highlighted verse is outlined with a gold metallic pen and colored with prismacolor pencil.

Simple little drawings can add so much to the beauty of your bible and help you to remember the lessons within.

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Just Not Right Thursday

Must be one of those child proof door handles.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

How To Remake A Bible Cover From An Old One

My bible cover was in pretty sad shape.  So I decided to make a new one using pieces from a different old one.
I chose a royal blue heavy cotton fabric and doubled it for strength.  Then I cut apart the old bible cover I had on a slightly smaller bible that I have not used in years.  I also used Fray Check on all the cut edges of those pieces.  I actually embroidered a border on the spine piece but did not like how it turned out, so I frogged it all out.
These are the pieces cut out and tacked into place.  As you can see I embroidered this cover in 1983.  The threads are all silk or metallic.
On the front piece the cross is surrounded by vines with pomegranates, one pomegranate for each book of the bible.
The back piece is a favorite worship song my old pastor wrote and we sang it in Hebrew and English.  It is a simple song about how the Lord is our Peace.  The little thing at the bottom is a split in half hawthorn berry, a personal symbol for myself.

So I am hunting for a nice ribbon, braid, etc to use for a border around the pieces, possibly in purple.  Maybe I can get to Michael's or Hobby Lobby when we go to Abilene on Thursday.  Unfortunately that hour's drive is the closest to any place that carries a variety of sewing items.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Sunday Bible Journaling ~ Printed Images

Another instance of using a printed image in your bible to make it truly one of a kind.
I found this medieval image of a labyrinth and felt it was a good illustration of this passage.  Those who did not take the 'good way' are trapped in the labyrinth fighting monsters.

As with other small images I printed this one to the size I needed onto sticky backed paper, trimmed it and put it in place.

The highlighted verse is outlined in gold metallic pen and colored with watercolor using very little water so the paper would not wrinkle.
Related Posts with Thumbnails